Friday, May 19, 2006

A Journey To Remember 1988 ~ 1992

Time flies, really fast. Unconsciously, it’s almost 18 years ago when it all begins.

In commemorate of my 17th wedding anniversary, I wish to share my journey throughout the seventeen years of marriage, a voyage that has made me realize how much courage and faith one’s need to survive in this passage of life. I dedicate this to my kids just incase I’m not able to put in the picture when they grew up and mature enough to understand.

1988 – New episode of life begins

Hubby and I work in the same institution but we have never met due to our separate office location until one day when our office organize a yearly tournament held at YMCA Brickfields somewhere back in August 1988. That was the first time I lay eyes on him. Somehow he attracts my attention coz at a glimpse, he reminds me of someone I had known in the past. Eventually when the game ended, I didn’t even manage to get his name or his number but that does not make me stop thinking about this guy. I begin my query and auspicious enough he works in the same department with one of my close colleague, FA from whom I get hold of his name and number (office number of course, there were no hand phones back then) but that’s it. I didn’t make any attempt to call whatsoever, but just leave it as it is.

Apparently my friend, FA had told him about me and he somehow made the first move by calling me on one fine night when I was working late hours, a few weeks after. So there we were chatting over the phone almost everyday until we finally agreed to meet for dinner and so it all begins. I just knew from the first day we met that he will be my soul mate.

1989 ~ The Grand Day

We didn’t court for long when we decided to tie the knot soon after we had saved enough for the dowry & wedding ceremony. We were wed on 14th May 1989 at the mosque of my granny’s village in KP and the reception was held two weeks later. It was a simple wedding coz I decided to hold the ceremony at my granny’s place, which was just 30 minutes drive from hubby’s home.

Just a note to ponder, actually before my parent agreed to accept his proposal, we must first ensure that he does not come from the same “Suku” as I am because it was prohibited by our “Adat”. I was like huh? Is this a joke or another mythical? Seriously it never suggests itself that such belief will emerge but unfortunately it was not a trivial issue. In no circumstances will the marriage take place if the answer is positive. Anyway it was a relief to understand that he was not in our “Suku”. (mine was “Selemak” whilst his was “Tanah Data”) *Sigh*

Our journey since begins. He was twenty-four and I was twenty-two and in my second year of my DIB studies when we got married but that does not stop me from continuing. I persevere with my career at the same time pursue my studies while hubby was working shift hours during the early phase of our marriage.

During early years, we rarely had problems with our marriage. Hubby was a very understanding husband and a caring father to the kids. Hubby being a “kampong” guy, he is the homely type of person, jovial & cheerful. I also describe him as a cool person and hardly ever he gets teed off. On top of that he’s very endeavor to his job. He’s a workaholic. Working in IT technical & service niche requires him to spent most of his time at the office and working until late hours is nothing out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, I describe myself as a very envious & possessive person and my biggest weakness was my bad temper. I can simply get on my nerve if I sense something amiss. Throughout the marriage as far as I can remember, I’m always the one who initiate any argument whilst hubby will just keep his silence.

I am also very blunt person. I will just speak my mind out if I dislike certain thing in a very sarcastic way. Hubby will always quote that I am a stubborn person, and perhaps he was right. I am stubborn but for a reason. My reasons my not vindicated but it’s how I look at matter from my point of view. But above all hubby has never laid a finger on the children nor me no matter how harsh I may be.


1990 ~ A Child was born

We stay with my parents and a year later I gave birth to Along. I took a year break from my studies to give full attention to my newborn baby. With god’s blessing, hubby was promoted when Along was born and no longer require to work shift hours. We were proud to be parents at young age even though we had some difficulties initially (Along). The year was full with blessing when we able to have out own transport. At this time, I had transferred to from my office at WGT to OKR office, which was closer to our house and a stone throw away from my campus.

1992 ~ The arrival of Angah/Graduation Day/New Employer

Two years later during my final semester, I gave birth to a cute baby girl, Angah. She was born a week before I sat for my final exam and with god’s willing, I manage to complete all seven papers during my confinement. I was so relief now that I have completed my Diploma, I can concentrate full time on my two kids.

At the same time, I started seeking new job opportunity and with God’s Blessing, I grasp an opportunity from one of the leading org in the industry that offers better position & greater remuneration. The only lacking was that one of conditions imposed was to undergo intensive training at Bangi for four months. I had no options but to make the sacrifice and leave my kids in the care of my parent. Hubby had no objection, as he himself was designate huge assignment to be completed during the year.

In the interim, we had our hard times when income could not cater for our increase in expenses thus we had to let go the car but still manage to make ends meet. Subsequent to my completion of the course attended, I was assign to PWTC office.

To be continued...


No comments: