Friday, May 19, 2006

A Journey To Remember 1993 ~ 2000

1993 ~ Beginning of hassle

His job requires full commitment and frequently travels outstation until it comes to a time when he gets frustrated with his employer. Eventually hubby gets himself a better job offer and decided to leave the org upon influence of his former schoolmate although I objected. No doubt the perks are far better than what he is getting but it was not a strong company and god knows how long the company would last as compared to his current org. Nonetheless, he left. And true enough the new job only last him for two years. He was jobless then. God knows how perturbed I was thinking to muddle through the misfortune but my prayers answered when hubby was reinstate by his former boss. He was offered a different post and attached at my then former office at WGT.

1994 ~ Home sweet home

When thing have settle down and we already had a steady income, we bought ourselves a brand new car. Soon after my confirmation, I started searching for property and found a good deal for a double storey terrace house adjacent to my parent’s house. It was a dream house that I have always wanted. Apart from its location, the price is certainly within our means. So we didn’t waited for long before we had the purchase completed and move into our own abode in late 1994. Our new home, new life and I can sense that hubby was glad that we finally move out from my parent’s house. (Actually within the period when Along was born, we did move out from my parents place a couple of times but we eventually return when times are bad and moreover we had no one to take care of the kids)

1995 ~ Worsening state of affairs

In 1995, I requested for a transfer to BS office, nearer to our home and because I was also expecting Alang. Hubby was even busier with his new post and now that we are no longer in the same route, everyday I had to wait for him to fetch me from the office. Hubby has this really terrible attitude when it comes to time management and it sucks all time. He will in no way be on time and he’s always ready with excuses. I became impatient of the long hours of waiting everyday that we begin to squabble. Unexpectedly hubby turns out to be more defensive whenever we had argument. Conversely I became hypersensitive while I was expecting Alang and hubby attitude really sucks. He was just like “do I care”? Needless to say in many instances, I will end up feeling the guilty ones as I am not fond to prolong the argument.

Another incident that pissed me off was when we move into our own house, two of my BIL also abruptly became uninvited guest of the house by moving in to stay with us. I could not say anything, can I? (although it’s my house, I’m the one who bought the house and paying for the loan?) To make matters worse I was also not in good term with PIL.

Well, you see, when you get to know the persons better, there will always be some differences, which sometimes difficult to understand. I grew up as town girl and being a contemporary person, I just like to be myself. I am not a hypocrite person and changed myself just to please others.

Unlike hubby, an obedient child to his parent and always do anything to gratify them. My PIL are very religious people (but in this case, hubby was not that devout) so sometime I can’t get along well with them (in terms of my thinking, my dressing, my attitude and so on). This has created some distance between PIL and me. Apart from that his other siblings also create a lot of problem for us. The only good thing is all my sisters’ in-laws are very accommodating. We share the same dilemma.


1996 ~ Little angel was born

Days went by and I gave birth to an adorable baby boy, Alang in Sept 1996 at SJMC. By this time around Along and Angah was already at kindergarten. My mother takes care of the kids when I’m out at work. Eventually when Alang was about six month old, I received an offer to pursue my Degree at my former Uni. I accepted the offer and there goes again my hectic life as a working mother of three, a wife and a student. I guess I’m so used to this kind of life that I am immune to it. Hubby doesn’t say much about my intention knowing that I had always have passion to further my studies to the highest level possible.

1997 ~ Hectic life again

Realizing of these multitasking duties that I had, I persist to drive on my own now. I’m no longer endurable to loiter for him to fetch me from office, what more to send me to classes and ended up being late. So I decided that I will drive to office and hubby will take the “Komuter” instead. During the day, I had to tussle at the office to complete my chore by 6.00pm before I head off for my classes. Lessons usually end at 10.30pm and I will drive the wheel like crazy Schumacher to fetch the kids and rushed home. Normally I will arrive home by 11.00pm.

In the course of period, I notice that hubby will usually arrive home much later than I am. Ask why is he being so late, his will just answer me bluntly that he has got work to do at the office. The simple term is Overtime. Of course I get very suspicious but if I bring up the matter, we will end up with unsolved argument. In the end, I just couldn’t be bothered because I have so many other things to concern rather than getting myself infuriated. Besides, I don’t wanna get myself pressured with all the nonsense that keep mingle in my mind. Even that two BIL of mine will offer no comfort.

Along the way, due to the economic downturn in 1997, the industry we are in had to be amalgamate. Both hubby and mine had no exception. Hubby org was merge with one of the big giant whilst mine was taken over by insignificant player of the industry, which made vast headlines but we are fortunate not to get laid off.


1998 ~ Exchange of environment

In the workplace itself, I am not in favor of so many issues. Most of my colleague & I can’t cope with the autocrative & insensitive boss and with the entire work burden on my shoulder, I get really hopeless sometimes. I even consider giving up my job (but of course I can’t coz I still need the earnings to support the family **sigh*). One disastrous outbreak occurs in late 1998 (which I will explained further in another write-up) and I felt horribly distress and fidgety. The incident would adversely affect my job. I didn’t inform hubby of the incident and I just keep it to myself, not even my family knows about it. Eventually I was transferred to another office and fortunately it was within the same vicinity.

1999 ~ Little baby girl arrival

The new office environment was more serene and found myself working with a bunch of jubilant people especially my chummy friend Minie. She helped me a lot recuperating the misfortune until I regain my courage. In the midst of work and study, I got pregnant again. But this time, I manage to complete my final semesters papers before Adek’s was due in June 1999. I told myself this would be my last pregnancy coz I don’t plan to have any more babies in the millennium years.

Hubby was still attached with his current org and always busy as ever. Concurrently he established a joint venture company with his colleague to undertake a contract awarded by Petronas. Apart from his current job, he does his part time work at night. But the joint venture collapse when a partner deceit and swindles their money. He disappeared with all the equipment leaving hubby & another partner indebt to AhLoong’s. So there begins another ironies of our lives.

2000 ~ Millennium bugs

May 2000, I was offered to work in one of the mini outlet launch by the org in AM Mall. The workings hours are from 11-7 and it operates 7 days a week. With the kids growing and schooling along with hubby financial constrain, I really need this extra income to scratch out a living. Furthermore, with its flexi hours, it enables me to send and fetch Along & Angah from school. By this time earnings is always insufficient to cover for all our expenses and we bicker a lot. By some means I can sense that something fishy is going on with hubby but I just could not unleashed what it was. Be that as it may, I concentrate on my new duties and the kids as my flexi hour allows me to juggle my time. Along was in standard four while Angah in her standard two. Soon after, I graduated and commence my job-hunting again.
To be continued...

No comments: